Monday, February 24, 2014

Gluten free and dairy limited

Well, largely. I did give in and have cookie dough in my frozen yogurt on Friday. But other than that, we've been gluten free since Feb 13. It's not easy. I love bread. But I've had stomach issues my whole life (lactose intolerance and diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome since around age 11), and she's been having bad painful gas that has been known to wake her up screaming. So for the sake of both of us, we're trying this whole GF thing. 

For the record, Vanilla Chex and Puffins Honey Rice cereals are really good. 

It seems to have helped my stomach at least a bit and my trial run on Saoirse was somewhat thwarted by a minor virus that due to a slightly stuffy nose increased her bubbles. That was a rough couple of nights. 

I found this recipe for GF tortillas on Pinterest (it is on my dairy and/or gluten free board) which turned out amazingly good. Link: http://www.yammiesglutenfreedom.com/2013/04/gluten-free-flour-tortillas.html?m=1

They were awesome and pretty much just like gluten tortillas. So yummy. I should make some more. 

I plan on trying these later this evening. Link: http://food52.com/recipes/24791-gluten-free-dinner-rolls
God, I want some bread. I'm going to have to somehow figure out how to substitute xantham gum for psyllium husk  and some other thing for arrowroot flour, as I couldn't find either at Whole Foods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment